Click to see my photos on flickr!

Zorki 1 adventures

Recently I acquired one very old camera. Zorki 1. It was made in 1955 and it's the oldest in my collection. After I gave it a CLA (clean-lube-adjust) I wanted to try it with film. For such an old camera with the fastest shutter speed of 1/500 I wanted to use something to allow me to use wider aperture - so I chose Fomapan 100. On an average partly-cloudy day using the "Sunny f/16" rule the exposure is 1/500 @ f/5.6 which is fine. Some of the results are here:

This is a statue of Hviezdoslav - a great Slovak poet of the 19th century. Seems he is being guerded by a policeman... but the police is in fact guarding the US embassy which is just a few meters to the left...

taken with Zorki 1 + Industar-22

Some advertisings on the wall of a building at Obchodna (Shopping) street...
taken with Zorki 1 + Jupiter-8 50/2

A tough guy buying Playboy underwear! This is IMHO the best shot of this roll... I framed it a little bit more to the left, but the viewfinder of Zorki 1 isn't very precise...
taken with Zorki 1 + Jupiter-8 50/2

Bratislava old town hall. A very nice building built in renaissance style...
taken with Zorki 1 + Jupiter-8 50/2

Driver of a tourist wagon waiting for the next round. When the weather is good, these little vehicles drive the tourists for a tour around the historical center of the city... The framing a little bit off again, because the viewfinder of the camera isn't very precise...
taken with Zorki 1 + Jupiter-8 50/2

I also took some portraits of my girlfriend with Zorki 1 and Jupiter-8. The camera is from 1955, the lens from 1956 and my girlfriend Lubka from 1984 :) In the second and third picture she has my Olympus OM-2000, which I lent her to learn photography.

taken with Zorki 1 + Jupiter-8 50/2

taken with Zorki 1 + Jupiter-8 50/2

taken with Zorki 1 + Jupiter-8 50/2

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ondrej, this is Will (shadowfox on RFF). I like this entry of your blog. I recently got a Zorki 1 (was looking for a Summar, but the seller was including the camera for cheap, so ... )

Anonymous said...

This is really nice ... happy to see that I am not the only one shooting with strange rangefinders. Regards, Eike